Principal Secretary, University Education and Research, Amb. Simon Nabukwesi (centre) with CEO of National Research Fund (NRF) and KMFRI Director Prof. James Njiru (left) during a tour of KMFRI cage culture at Kibokoni, Kilifi County, a project funded by NRF on 24th September 2020
KMFRI Director Prof. James Njiru, gives a press briefing during the Kenya Climate-Smart Agriculture Project (KCSAP) at KARLO, Naivasha. Prof. Njiru underscored the need for aquaculture farming saying that it is the only way that a country could meet the fish demand in the country as opposed to relying on capture fisheries.
KMFRI Director Prof. James Njiru (4th right) accompanied by Mr. Abraham Kagwima (3rd right) and Dr. Dr Peter Odote (far left) visited KEFRI Enterprises on 11th August 2020 to learn how their successful business wing works. The model is being adopted by KMFRI Enterprise.
Inception and sensitization meeting: The project implementation team is led by KMFRI with research scientists Dr. Kevin Obiero (left), Dr. Domitila Kyule, Ms. Fonda Jane Awuor and Esther Wairimu.
- Bernerd Fulanda, Jun Ohtomi , Elizabeth Mueni , Edward Kimani, Fishery trends, resource-use and management system in the Ungwana Bay fishery, Kenya. Ocean & Coastal Management 54, 401-414, 2011
- K. Mbaru, E.N. Kimani, L.M. Otwoma, A.Kimeli and T.K. Mkare, Abundance, Length-Weight Relationship and Condition Factor in Selected Reef Fishes of the Kenyan Marine Artisanal Fishery. Advance Journal of Food Science and Technology 3(1): 1-8, 2011
- Emmanuel K. Mbaru, Thomas K. Mkare1 and Joseph O. Rasowo, Tolerance of yolk sac and free swimming fry of African catfish (Clarias gariepinus, Burchell 1822) to chemotherapeutic doses of formalin. African Journal of Agricultural Research Vol. 6(2), pp. 323-330 18 January 2011
- Christopher Mulanda Aura, Phillip Okoth Raburu and Jan Herrmann, Macroinvertebrates’ community structure in Rivers Kipkaren and Sosiani, River Nzoia basin, Kenya. Journal of Ecology and the Natural Environment Vol. 3(2), pp. 39-46, February 2011
- James Mwandawiro Mwaluma, Boaz Kaunda-Arara, Joseph Rasowo, Melckzedeck Knight Osore & Vidar Øresland, Seasonality in fish larval assemblage structure within marine reef National Parks in coastal Kenya, Environmental Biology of Fishes 90, 4, 393-404, 2011
- Sei-Ichi Saitoh, Robinson Mugo, I Nyoman Radiarta, Shinsuke Asaga, Fumihiro Takahashi, Toru Hirawake, Yoichi Ishikawa, Toshiyuki Awaji, Teiji In, and Shigeki Shima, Some operational uses of satellite remote sensing and marine GIS for sustainable fisheries and aquaculture. ICES Journal of Marine Science, 68(4), 687–695, 2011
- Nina Wambiji, Yong-Ju Park, Se-Jae Kim, Sung-Pyo Hur, Yuki Takeuchi, Akihiro Takemur, Expression of type II iodothyronine deiodinase gene in the brain of a tropical spinefoot, Siganus guttatus. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology - Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology Volume 160, Issue 4, December 2011, Pages 447-452, 2011
- Nina Wambiji, Yong-Ju Park, Ji-Gweon Park, Se-Jae Kim, Sung-Pyo Hur, Yuki Takeuchi and Akihiro Takemura, Expression patterns of type II and III iodothyronine deiodinase genes in the liver of the goldlined spinefoot, Siganus guttatus. Fisheries Science Volume 77, Number 3, 301-311, 2011
- Christopher Mulanda Aura, Cosmas Nzaka Munga, Edward Kimani, Julius Otieno Manyala & Safina Musa, Length - Weight Relationships for Nine Deep Sea Fish Species off the Kenyan Coast. Pan-American Journal of Aquatic Sciences 6(2):188-192, 2011
- Joseph G. Wakibia, Jacob Ochiewoand John J. Bolton, Economic Analysis of Eucheumoid Algae Farming in Kenya. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science Vol. 10, 1, pp. 13-24, 2011
- Elijah Oyoo-Okoth, Mucai Muchiri, Charles C. Ngugi, Elizabeth W. Njenga, Veronica Ngure, Paul S. Orina, Emily C. Chemoiwa and Bernard K. Wanjohi, Zooplankton partitioning in a tropical alkaline–saline endorheic Lake Nakuru, Kenya: Spatial and temporal trends in relation to the environment. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management 16, 1: 35–47, 2011
- Erick Ochieng Ogello, Reuben Omondi, Mary A. Opiyo, Harrison Charo-Karisa, Jonathan Munguti & Christopher Mulanda Aura. Survival and avoidance response of the freshwater gastropod Melanoides tuberculatus (Muller) to different concentrations of tobacco waste. Aquaculture Research, 1–6, 2011
- Sung-Pyo Hur, Yuki Takeuchi, Yuriko Esaka, Wambiji Nina, Yong-Ju Park, Hyeong-Cheol Kang, Hyung-Bok Jeong, Young-Don Lee, Se-Jae Kim, Akihiro Takemura, Diurnal expression patterns of neurohypophysial hormone genes in the brain of the threespot wrasse Halichoeres trimaculatus. Comparative Biochemistry and Physiology Part A: Molecular & Integrative Physiology Volume 158, Number 4,April 2011 Pages 490-497,2011
- O. David Mirera, Trends in exploitation, development and management of artisanal mud crab (Scylla serrata-Forsskal-1775) fishery and small-scale culture in Kenya: An overview. Ocean and Coastal Management Volume 54 issue 11, November 2011 Pages 844-855, 2011
- O. David Mirera, Trends in exploitation, development and management of artisanal mud crab (Scylla serrata-Forsskal-1775) fishery and small-scale culture in Kenya: An overview. Ocean & Coastal Management 54,11, 844-855, November 2011
- Safina Musa, John Wageni Gichuki, Phillip Okoth Raburu and Christopher Mulanda Aura, Risk assessment for organochlorines and organophosphates pesticide residues in water and Sediments from lower Nyando⁄Sondu-Miriu river within Lake Victoria Basin, Kenya. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management 16: 273–280, 2011
- Christopher Mulanda Aura, Safina Musa, Erick Ochieng Ogello, Levy Michael Otwoma,Wainaina Miriam and Rodrick Kundu, Methane emissions from riverine and swampy coastal wetlands: influence of open and macrophyte-infested areas. Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management 16: 265–272, 2011.