I hold a Bachelor of Science (B.Sc.) and Master of Science (M.Sc.) Degrees in Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences from Moi University, Eldoret, Kenya. Currently, I am pursuing a Doctorate Degree in Natural Resource and Life Sciences at the University of Natural Resources and Life Sciences, Vienna. My doctoral dissertation is focused on promoting sustainable intensification of small-scale and commercial aquaculture to improve productivity and environmental performance in East Africa. Specifically, the study is analyzing the roles of the research, education, extension, and training in promoting adoption of aquacultural technologies and innovations among smallholder farmers in Eastern Africa (Kenya, Uganda and Ethiopia). I’m the Centre Director at KMFRI Sagana, based at the National Aquaculture Research Development and Training Centre, Sagana, Kenya.
Throughout my academic training and over 10 years working experience, I have spearheaded and participated in national, regional and internationally funded research projects and consultancies as co-investigator, collaborator and research assistant. Within these multidisciplinary research programmes, I have published and co-authored 15 peer-refereed international articles, 2 books and 10 book chapters, 15 conference presentations, and over 20 technical reports. To upgrade my skills and professional experience, I have attended professional short courses and training programmes including International Summer School in Vienna, Agriculture in Transition at Wageningen University, Fish Base and Fish Taxonomy Training at Royal Museum of Central Africa, Tervuren, Belgium, Advanced Research Design Course, Environmental Impact Assessment and Environmental Audit and a Scientific Academic Exchange Program at Nagasaki University, Japan. I have gained project management experience by successfully completing a Post-Graduate Diploma in Project Management and attending an advanced training for governance and policy-oriented studies by the Partnership for African Social and Governance Research (PASGR) in Nairobi, Kenya.
Presently, I hold membership in five (5) professional and academic bodies including: (1) International Society of Limnology (SIL), (2) International Association of Great Lakes Research (IAGLR), (3) Sustainable Aquaculture Research Networks in Sub-Saharan Africa (SARNISSA), (4) Ecological Society of Eastern Africa (ESEA) and (5) East African Water Association (EAWA). In the last one year, I have been actively involved as a member of the Board of Directors in the development of the newly formed African Center for Aquatic Research and Education (ACARE) based in the USA. The mission of ACARE is twofold: (1) To create a long-term, highly collaborative Center of Excellence dedicated to increasing local capacity of African freshwater scientists, managers, and decision-makers through a world class curriculum, and (2) develop a perpetual collaborative process by which key stakeholders come together to positively affect policy and management on Africa's Great Lakes.
Research Network: Research Gate
Doctor of Natural Resources and Life Sciences (Ongoing)
MSc Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences
BSc. Fisheries and Aquatic Science
- Vreven, E. J.W.M.N, Musschoot T., Decru E., Snoeks J., Obiero K., Schliewen U. (2018). The complex origins of mouth polymorphism in the Labeobarbus (Cypriniformes: Cyprinidae) of the Inkisi River basin (Lower Congo, DRC, Africa): insights from an integrative approach. Zoological Journal of the Linnean Society. DOI: 10.1093/zoolinnean/zly049
- Abwao, J., Musa S., Ondiba, R., Ogello, E., Obiero, K. (2017). Effect of replacing marine protein with hydrolyzed feather meal on growth, apparent digestibility and body composition of juvenile tilapias; Oreochromis mossambicus (Peters, 1852). International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 5 (6): 242–250.
- Achieng, A. O., Raburu, P. O., Kipkorir, E. C., Ngodhe, S. O., Obiero, K. O., Ani-Sabwa, J. (2017). Assessment of water quality using multivariate techniques in River Sosiani, Kenya. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, 189 (6), 280.
- Obiero, K.O., Waidbacher, H., Drexler, S., Winkler, , Manyala, J.O., Njiru, J.M., Kaunda-Arara, B. (2016). Knowledge management and investing in human capacity development for aquacultural education and training in Africa. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa (2016), 167 - 183. ISSN 0378 – 9721.
- Kyule, , Opiyo, M.A., Ogello, E., Obiero, K.O, Maranga, B., Orina., P., Charo-Karisa, H., Munguti, J.M. (2016). Determination of fish value added product preferences among the residents of Wote Town, Makueni County, Kenya. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa (2016), 69 - 78. ISSN 0378 – 9721.
- Okotto-Okotto J., Raburu P. O., Obiero K. O., Obwoyere G. O, Mironga J. M., Okotto L. G., Raburu E. A (2016). Impact of spatio-temporal variation of Lake Victoria water levels on fringing Nyando Wetland ecosystem, Kenya. Wetlands, Springe DOI: 10.1007/s13157-016-0831-y
- Gownaris, J. E. Pikitch, J.Y. Aller, L. Kaufman, J. Kolding, K.M.M Lwiza, Obiero K.O., W.O. Ojwang, J.O. Malala, K.J. Rountos (2016). Fisheries and Water Level Fluctuations in the World’s Largest Desert Lake. Ecohydrology http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/eco.1769/full]
- Ogello, E.O., Kembenya, E. M., Obiero, K.O., Munguti, J.M. (2016) Effects of Nicotina tobacum (Linnaeus) on the survival and behavioural response of the freshwater leeches, Hirudinaria , International Journal of Aquatic Sciences 7 (1):19–24.
- Obiero, K.O., Abila, R., Njiru, M., Raburu, P.O., Kundu, R., Achieng, A.O., Ogello E.O., Munguti J.M., Lawrence, T. (2015) The challenges of management: Recent experiences in implementing fisheries co-management in Lake Victoria, Kenya. Lakes and Reservoirs: Research and Management 20: 139–154.
- Githukia, M., Ogello E.O., Kembenya E.M., Achieng A.O., Obiero K.O., Munguti J.M. (2015). Comparative growth performance of male monosex and mixed sex Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) reared in earthen ponds. Croatian Journal of Fisheries 73: 20–25.
- Obiero, K.O., Opiyo A., Yongo, E., Kyule, D., Githukia C.M., Munguti J.M. & Charo- Karisa H. (2014). Consumer preference and marketing of farmed Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) and African Catfish (Clarias gariepinus) in Kenya: Case study of Kirinyaga and Vihiga Counties. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies 1 (5): 67–76.
- Githukia, M., Obiero K.O., Manyala J.O., Ngugi C.C., Quagrainie K.K. (2014). Analysis of consumer preference of wild and cultured Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.) and African Catfish, Clarias gariepinus (Burchell 1822) in selected urban centers in Kenya. International Journal of Advanced Research 2 (7): 694–705.
- Kyule N., Yongo E., Opiyo M. A., Obiero K.O, Munguti J. M., Charo-Karisa H. (2014). Fish product development and market trials of fish and fish products in Kenya: A case study of Kirinyaga and Meru Counties. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Vol 26, Article #108. http://www.lrrd.org/lrrd26/6/kyul26108.htm
- Ogello O., Obiero K.O., Munguti J.M. (2013). Lake Victoria and the common property debate: Is the tragedy of the commons a threat to its future? Journal of Lakes, Reservoirs and Ponds 7 (2): 101–126.
- Obiero K.O., Raburu P.O., Okeyo-Owuor J. B., Raburu E. (2012). Community perceptions on the impact of the recession of Lake Victoria water on Nyando Wetla Scientific Research and Essays 7 (16): 1647–1661.
PUBLISHED BOOKS AND BOOK CHAPTERS
- Lawrence, T., Obiero, K.O., Nunan, F., Van der Knaap, M., Njiru, J. M., Mkumbo, O. (2018). Learning from the Transboundary Governance of Lake Victoria’s Fisheries. In: Grover, V. I and Krantzberg, G. (Eds), Lakes Governance, Chapter 7, pp. 128-148, CRS Press, Boca Raton, Florida, USA.
- Obiero, K. O., Munguti, J. M., Mutune, D. M., and Njiru, J. M. (2017). Overview of aquaculture in Kenya. In: Munguti et al. (eds.), State of Aquaculture in Kenya, Chapter 1, pp 1?9, Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Musa, S., Opiyo, M.A., Obiero, K.O., Ogello, E.O., Githukia, C.M., Ombwa, V., Kembenya, E., Boera, P., Okechi, J. (2017). Status of freshwater aquaculture in Kenya. In: Munguti et al. (eds.), State of Aquaculture in Kenya, Chapter 2, pp 10?24, Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Mirera, D., Obiero, K.O., Mwaluma, J., Munguti, J.M. (2017). Aquaculture Research, Education and Training in Kenya. In: Munguti et al. (eds.), State of Aquaculture in Kenya, Chapter 6, pp 54?61, Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya
- Ochiewo, J., Obiero, K. O., Munguti, J.M., Njiru, J.M. (2017). Legal, policy and institutional frameworks guiding aquaculture development in Kenya. In: Munguti et al. (eds.), State of Aquaculture in Kenya, Chapter 7, pp 62?71, Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Ochiewo, J., Obiero, K.O., Ogello, E.O., Awuor, J.F., Munguti, J.M., (2017). Social and economic impacts of aquaculture in Kenya. In: Munguti et al. (eds.), State of Aquaculture in Kenya, Chapter 9, pp 80?87, Laxpress Services, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Kyule-Muendo, D., Munguti, J.M., Opiyo, M.A., Obiero, O., Githukia, C.M., Orina, P.S., Njiru, J.M., Charo-Karisa, H. (2017). Fish Recipe Book, Volume 1. Kenya Literature Bureau, Nairobi, Kenya. 45pp
- Opiyo , Charo-Karisa, H., Nyonje, B., Omolo, B., Orina, P., Wainaina, M., Obiero, K., Munguti, J. (2017). Good Aquaculture Practices for Seed Production in Kenya: Volume 1. Tilapia and Catfish. Kenya Literature Bureau, Nairobi, Kenya. ISBN: 9789966100078. 60pp
- Ojwang, W. O., Obiero, K. O., Donde, O. O., Gownaris, N., Pikitch, E. K., Omondi, R., Avery, S. T. (2016). Lake Turkana: World’s Largest Permanent Desert Lake (Kenya). In Finlayson, C. M., Milton, G.R., Prentice, R.C., Davidson, N.C., (eds.), The Wetland Book: II: Distribution, Description and Conservation, Chapter 25, pp. 1–20). Dordrecht: Springer Netherlands. http://doi.org/10.1007/978-94-007-6173-5_254-1.
- Obiero K.O., Wa’Munga P.O., Raburu P.O., Okeyo-Owuor J.B. (2012). The people of Nyando wetlands: socio-economics, gender and cultural issues. In: P.O. Raburu et al. (eds.) Community-based approach to the management of Nyando wetlands, Lake Victoria Basin, Kenya (pp.32–53). McPowl Media Limited, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Raburu P.O., Onyango F.O., Obiero K.O. (2012). The value of consumptive goods and services of Nyando Wetland. In: P.O. Raburu et al. (eds.), Community based approach to the management of Nyando wetlands, Lake Victoria Basin, Kenya (pp. 53–67). McPowl Media Limited, Nairobi, Kenya.
- Obiero K.O., Raburu P.O., Masese F.O. (2012). Managing Nyando wetlands in the face of climate change. In: P.O. Raburu et al. (eds.), Community-based approach to the management of Nyando wetlands, Lake Victoria Basin, Kenya (pp.100–121). McPowl Media Limited, Nairobi, Kenya.
SELECTED CONFERENCE PRESENTATIONS AND TALKS (2017-2018)
- Obiero, K.O., Waidbacher, H., Manyala, J.O., Kaunda-Arara, B., Munguti, J.M., Nyawanda, B.O., Lautsch, E. (2018). What makes farmers try new aquaculture technologies? Predictors of adoption behaviour among smallholder farmers in Kenya, Eastern Africa. Paper presented during the 6th PAFFA Conference held from 24th to 28th September 2018, Mangochi, Malawi.
- Obiero, K. O., Waidbacher, H., Manyala, J.O., Kaunda-Arara, B., Munguti, J.M., Akoll, P., Odong, R., Adamneh, D., Drexler, S.S., Meulenbroek, P. (2018). The quest for sustainable intensification of aquaculture in Eastern Africa: Current knowledge, research and policy priorities. Paper presented during the 6th PAFFA Conference held from 24th to 28th September 2018, Mangochi, Malawi.
- Obiero, K.O., Malala, J. O., Keyombe, J.A., Donde, O.O., Lawrence, T., Gownaris, N. (2018). Impacts of water level fluctuations on fisheries of Lake Turkana: World’s largest permanent desert lake. Paper presented at the 8th conference on Speciation in Ancient Lakes (SIAL8) from 29th July to 3rd August 2018, Entebbe, Uganda.
- Obiero K.O., Lawrence, T., Jessica, I. Achieng’ A.O., Gownaris, N (2018). Strengthening capacity in research and training through transboundary partnerships and collaborations in the African Great Lake. Paper presented at 61st Annual Conference on Great Lakes Research, from 18th to 22nd June 2018 at the University of Toronto, Scarborough, Canada.
- Achieng’ A.O, Raburu P.O, Akoll, P, Jones, C.L.W., Obiero K.O. (2018). Collaborative training in fisheries and aquaculture in East, Central and Southern Africa. Paper presented at 61st Annual Conference on Great Lakes Research, from 18th to 22nd June 2018 at the University of Toronto, Scarborough, Canada.
- Obiero, K.O., Waidbacher, H., Manyala, J.O., Kaunda-Arara, B (2017). Knowledge management and investing in human capacity development for aquacultural education and training in Africa. Paper presented at the World Aquaculture Conference held at the Cape Town International Conference Centre in Cape Town, South Africa from 26th to 30th June 2017.
- Raburu, P.O., Obiero, K.O., Achieng, A.O., (2017). Challenges facing aquaculture postgraduate curriculum development and implementation in Kenya. Paper presented at the World Aquaculture Conference held at the Cape Town International Conference Centre in Cape Town, South Africa from 26th to 30th June 2017
- Obiero, K.O., Malala, J.O., Ochiewo, J.O., Donde, O.O., Yongo, E. (2017). The nexus of dam construction, oil exploration, and resource use conflicts: Vulnerability of fishing communities in lake Turkana, Kenya. Paper presented at the African Great Lakes Conference, 1st to 5th May 2017, Entebbe, Uganda