Mr Alati is interested in understanding local knowledge held by coastal communities of Kenya. He is currently pursuing his PhD in Social Anthropology at the University of Roehampton, London. His study focuses on maritime heritage practices of coastal fishing communities. It utilizes ethnographic approaches to understand fishing community’s sociocultural experiences, practices, beliefs, opinions, moralities, values, identities and way of life.
- Research Network Link: Research gate
- PhD student, Social Anthropology, The University of Roehampton, London.
- Msc in Ecological Marine Management, Free University Brussels, Belgium.
- BSc in Applied Aquatic Sciences, Egerton University, Kenya.
- Wanyonyi, I. N., Wamukota, A., Alati, V.M., & Osuka, K. (2021). The influence of ‘space’on migrant fisher livelihoods. African Identities, 1-16. https://doi.org/10.1080/14725843.2021.1937050
- Alati, V. M., Olunga, J., Olendo, M., Daudi, L. N., Osuka, K., Odoli, C., ... & Nordlund, L. M. (2020). Mollusc shell fisheries in coastal Kenya: Local ecological knowledge reveals overfishing. Ocean & Coastal Management, 195, 105285. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ocecoaman.2020.105285
- Okello, J. A., Alati, V. M., Kodikara, S., Kairo, J., Dahdouh-Guebas, F., & Koedam, N. (2019). The status of Mtwapa Creek mangroves as perceived by the local communities. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science, 18(1), 67-81.
- Buckley, S.M., McClanahan, T.R., Quintana Morales, E.M., Alati, V. M., Nyanapah, J., Otwoma, L.M., Pandolfi, J.M. (2019). Identifying species threatened with local extinction in tropical reef fisheries using historical reconstruction of species occurrence. PLoS ONE 14(2): e0211224. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0211224
- Omukoto, J.O., Owiti, H., Alati, V. M., Munga, C.N., Wamukota, A.W. (2018). Participatory assessment of priority fishery profiles in an overfished urban inshore seascape in Kenya. WIO Journal of Marine Science 17 (2 ): 79-92.
- Aura, C., Musa, S, Osore, M. K., Kimani, E., Alati, V. M., Wambiji, N., Maina, G., Charo-Karisa, H. (2017). Quantification of climate change implications for water based management: a case study of oyster suitability sites occurrence model along the Kenya coast. Journal of Marine Systems, 165, 27 – 35. DOI:
- Wanyonyi, I. N., Wamukota, A., Tuda, P., Alati, V. M., Nguti, L. M., (2016). Migrant fishers of Pemba: Drivers, impacts and mediating factors. Marine Policy, 71, 242 – 255. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.marpol.2016.06.009