He is a Research Scientist at the Kenya Marine & Fisheries Research Institute with over 15 years of research experience in diverse areas of Fisheries. His expertise in fisheries has yielded over 15 peer-reviewed publications, 20 presentations in conferences and workshops. Other than the theoretical outputs, he has been actively engaged in several technology transfer initiatives to SMES, youth and women groups along Kenyan coast and the Lakes Victoria and Baringo. Additionally, he is trained as a Senior Manager (Senior Management Course) in Kenya School of Government, Embu. Has two international diplomas in (i) Food safety, Quality Assurance Systems and Risk Analysis, Ghent University, Belgium, and (ii) Quality management of fish handling and processing, United Nations University Fisheries Training Programme (UNU-FTP) Reykjavík Iceland. He was a Part time lecturer at Kenyatta University (Mombasa campus). Lecturing Fish Ecology course (2011-2013). He has carried out several projects among them: Securefish projects funded by European Union, Quality assessment of artisanal fish landing funded by WIOMSA, Fish shelf life studies funded by UNU-FTP and Community involvement in production and marketing of value added fish products for improved livelihood, funded by Lighthouse foundation. He has membership to the International Institute of Fisheries Economic and Trade (IIFET) and the Western Indian Ocean Marine Scientists Association (WIOMSA). He has supervised several MSc Students specifically at Pwani University and Technical University of Mombasa.
Research Network: Research Gate
PhD (Food science; Seafood processing)
Msc. Food science (Seafood processing)
Bsc. Fisheries, Moi University
- Aura, C. M., Musa, S., Cyprian, O. O., Nyamweya, S. C., Njiru, J. M., Wanyama, R., (eds). 2017. A technical manual on the best management practices for cage fish farming in Lake Victoria, Kenya. Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute, Kenya. ISBN: 978-9966-103.
- Cyprian, O. O., Nguyen, V. M., Sveinsdottir, K., Tomasson, T., Thorkelsson, G., & Arason, S. (2017). Influence of blanching treatment and drying methods on the drying characteristics and quality changes of dried sardine (Sardinella gibbosa) during storage. Drying Technology, 35(4), 478–489. https://doi.org/DOI:10.1080/07373937.2016.1187161
- Cyprian, O. O., Sveinsdottir, K., Nguyen, M. V., Tomasson, T., Thorkelsson, G., & Arason, S. (2017). Influence of lipid content and packaging methods on the quality of dried capelin (Mallotus villosus) during storage. Journal of Food Science and Technology, 54(2), 293–302. https://doi.org/10.1007/s13197-016-2462-y
- Cyprian, O. O., Nguyen, V. M., Sveinsdottir, K., Jonsson, A., Tomasson, T., Thorkelsson, G., & Arason, S. (2015). Influence of smoking and packaging methods on lipid stability and microbial quality of Capelin (Mallotus villosus) and Sardine (Sardinella gibossa). Food Science & Nutrition, 3(5), 404–414. doi:10.1002/fsn3.233
- Cyprian, O. O., Nguyen, V. M., Sveinsdottir, K., Jonsson, A., Thorkelsson, G., & Arason, S. (2015). Influence of lipid content and blanching on capelin (Mallotus villosus) drying rate and lipid oxidation under low temperature drying. Food Process Engineering, 39, 237–246. doi:10.1111/jfpe.12215
- Cyprian, O. O., Sveinsdóttir, K., Magnússon, H., Arason, S., Jóhannsson, R., & Martinsdóttir, E. (2014). Development of Quality Index Method (QIM) Scheme for Farmed Tilapia Fillets and Its Application in Shelf Life Study. Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology, 23(3), 278–290. doi:10.1080/10498850.2012.713088
- Cyprian, O.O, Lauzon, H., Johannsson, R., Sveinsdottir, K., Martinsdóttir, E., & Sigurjon Arason. (2013). Shelf life of air and modified atmosphere-packaged fresh tilapia ( Oreochromis niloticus ) fillets stored under chilled and superchilled conditions. Food Science & Nutrition, 1(2), 130–140. doi:10.1002/fsn3.18
- Cyprian Odoli, Oduor-Odote peter, Lauzon Helene, Martinsdottir Emilia, A. S. (2013). Microbiological quality and shelflife of fresh packaged Tilapia fillets stored under different chill temperatures. Journal of Microbiology, Biotechnology and Food Sciences, 2(4), 2431–2455. doi:10.1054/drup.1999.9000
- Cyprian, CO.O, Oduor-Odote PM, Onyango SO, Ohowa. B. (2013). Evaluation of fish handling techniques employed by Artisanal fishers on quality of Lethrinids and Siganids fish genera at landing time along the Kenyan coast using Sensory and microbiological methods. African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition And Development, 13(5), 8167–8186.
- Oduor-Odote, P., Obiero, M., & Cyprian, O.O (2010). Organoleptic effect of using different plant materials on smoking of marine and freshwater catfish. African Journal of Food, Agriculture, Nutrition And Development, 10(6), 2658–2677. Retrieved from http://www.ajol.info/index.php/ajfand/article/view/58054
- Cyprian, O. O., Sveinsdóttir, K., Magnússon, H., & Martinsdóttir, E. (2008). Application of Quality Index Method (QIM) Scheme and Effects of Short-Time Temperature Abuse in Shelf Life Study of Fresh Water Arctic Char (Salvelinus alpinus ). Journal of Aquatic Food Product Technology, 17(3), 303–321. doi:10.1080/10498850802195038