Charles Muthama has worked in KMFRI for 32 years (since February, 1990). He first worked in the laboratory as a technologist in the biological oceanography research. He currently works as a research scientist and has been a researcher for 10 years. He does research in seagrass ecosystem ecology and mainly interested in ecosystem conservation and restoration. As an advanced open water scuba diver, he has worked in coral ecosystems and Fish Aggregating Devices. He is a member of WIOMSA, SeagrassNET and Kenya seagrass research team.
- MSc. In Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences (Fisheries Management option) – currently being undertaken at the University of Eldoret (Thesis submitted).
Thesis Title: A comparison of ecological attributes in degraded and healthy seagrass beds in coastal Kenya
- BSc. In Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences from Moi University, Eldoret (2012) – 2nd Class
Dissertation title: A comparison of Benthic invertebrate community structure of fragmented and continuous seagrass beds in coastal Kenya.
- Diploma in Applied Biology - The Mombasa Polytechnic (now Technical University of Mombasa) (1997).
Project title: Macrofaunal assemblages of littoral seagrass communities in Nyali beach, Kenya.
- Sustainable Use of Coastal and Marine Resources (SUCOMAR) – Advanced professional course offered in Germany – 2004
- Reef Check Training of Trainers – in Malindi Kenya by Reef Check International – 2002.
- Sea weed Mariculture course – university of Western Cape in South Africa (funded by International Oceanography Institute – IOI) – 1999.
- Muthama C.M. A comparison of Benthic invertebrate community structure of fragmented and continuous seagrass beds in coastal Kenya. Dissertation, BSc. Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences (Moi Uni). 38pp.
- Muthama C.M. and J.N. Uku, 2003. Macrofaunal assemblages of littoral seagrass communities. Jan Hoorweg & Nyawira Muthiga(Eds.). Recent Advances in Coastal Ecology. African Studies Centre Research Report 70:51-63.
- Ochiewo J., Maricela de la Torre-Castro, Muthama, F. Munyi and J. M., Nthuta. 2010. Socio-economic features of sea cucumber fisheries in southern coast of Kenya. Ocean and Coastal Management. ELSEVIER. 53. 192 – 202.