He has been working in the domain of aquatic sciences for a long time. He is a trained and certified Graduate student Lecturer and scientist under Hokkaido University (Japan) and University of California Berkely (USA) collaboration in March 18-22, 2013. He is trained as a Senior Manager (Senior Management Course) in Kenya School of Government, Mombasa. He was awarded an African Union-World Academy of Sciences Award (AU-TWAS) as best Young Scientist (below 40 years) in Life and Earth Sciences in 2012. He has also attained 3 international diplomas in (i) International Environmental Leadership and Policy, (ii) Inter-departmental graduate studies in Sustainability Sciences, and (iii) Sustainability Science Consortium, as well as completed and been awarded certificate as an Environmental Policy and Sustainability Leader. He was the Chairman of Kenya Wetland Stakeholders Draft and Regulations Review in 2017-18 for riparian lands’ regulations. He is a member of Editorial Board of International Journal of Tropical Hydrobiology and Fisheries (IJTHF) http://ijthf.com/editorial-board/ and External Examiner in number of postgraduate graduation theses. He has carried out more than 10 Research projects including International Foundation of Science, Newton-Utafiti, Nairobi-Mombasa expressway ESIA, Oyster suitability and modelling, National Research Fund, and Cage culture, among others. He has published more than 60 papers, 6 books and book chapters in SCI-indexed journals of aquatic sciences research.
- Njiru, J.M., Aura, M.C., Okechi, J.K. 2018. Cage fish culture in Lake Victoria: A boon or a disaster in waiting? Fish Manag Ecol.; 00:1–9. https://doi.org/10.1111/fme.12283
- Hassan, F.A., Ong’ayo, H.A., Osore, M.K., Morara, G.N., Aura, M.C. 2018. Assessment of Beneficiary Satisfaction with Community Based Solid Waste Management Service. A case of Okoa Maisha Project in Mnarani Village, Kilifi County, Kenya. International Journal of Scientific Research and Management (IJSRM) 6(3), FE-2018-08-18. doi: 10.18535/ijsrm/v6i3.fe01.
- Aura, M.C., Musa, S., Yongo, E., Okechi, J., Njiru, J.M., Ogari, Z., Wanyama, R., Charo-Harrison, H., Mbugua, H., Kidera, S., Ombwa, V., Abwao, J. (2018). Integration of mapping and socio-economic status of cage culture: Towards balancing lake-use and culture fisheries in Lake Victoria, Kenya. Aquaculture Research 2018; 49(1), 532-545. https://doi.org/10.1111/are.13484.
- Hassan, F.A., Ong’ayo, H.A., Osore, M.K., Morara, G.N., Aura, M.C. 2017. Effect of Community Participation in Access to Social Services: A Case Study of Hazina Ya Maendeleo Ya Pwani Approach in Coastal Kenya. Open journal of social sciences (IF=1.51) 5, 160-180. https://doi.org/10.4236/jss.2017.511012.
- Kundu, R., Aura, C. M., Nyamweya, C., Agembe, S., Sitoki, L., Lung'ayia, H. B. O., Ongore, C., Ogari, Z. and Werimo, K. (2017), Changes in pollution indicators in Lake Victoria, Kenya and their implications for lake and catchment management. Lakes Reserv. Res. Manage. 22: 199–214. doi:10.1111/lre.1218.
- Mwaura, J.M., Umezawa, Y., Furaha, J., Kimeli, A., Kamau, J. Aura, C.M. (2017). Spatial variability of scleractinian coral bleaching and mortality induced by the 2010 ENSO, between northern and southern reefs, Kenya. Coastal Marine Science 40(1): 17-27.
- Aura, C. M., Musa, S., Odoli, C. O., Nyamweya, S. C., Njiru, J. M., Wanyama, R., (eds). 2017. A technical manual on the best management practices for cage fish farming in Lake Victoria, Kenya. Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute, Kenya. Book Published by KMFRI and printed by Kenya Literature Bureau. ISBN: 978-9966-107-87-9.
- Aura, M.C., Kimani, E.N., Musa, S., Kundu, R., Njiru, J.M. (2017). Spatio-temporal macroinvertebrate multi-index of biotic integrity (MMiBI) for a coastal river basin: a case study of River Tana, Kenya. Ecohydrology and Hydrobiology 17: 113-124.
- UNESCO-IOC, 2017. Stories of Africa’s Ocean and Coasts: Volume 2: Kenya’s Coastal and Resources and Environment, Mwanyuma H., Odido M., Lamin A.R., and Mackongo L-A. (Eds). IOC Information Document, 1319. Njiru, J.M., Aura, M.C. Chapter 1: Life in the ocean, Book. 152pp.
- Aura, C.M., Osore, M.K., Hassan, F., Musa, S., Morara, G., Mwikali, G. (2017) Engaging poor academic performers (PAP) in marine and coastal resource management: experiences from a mega-project capacity building initiative. Ocean and Coastal management 137: 34 – 42.
- Musa, S. Aura, M.C., and Kundu, R. (2017). Mapping the value chain for farmed fish and gender analysis along the aquaculture value chain in Kenya. In Aquaculture: Management, Challenges and Developments. NOVA Science Publishers, Inc. NewYork. https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=59012
- Musa, S. Aura, M.C., and Kundu, R. (2017). Effects of protein, lipid, feeding levels and their interaction on growth, biological parameters and haematology of monosex Nile tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus L.). In Aquaculture: Management, Challenges and Developments. NOVA Science Publishers, Inc. NewYork. https://www.novapublishers.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=59012
- Aura, C.M., Musa, S., Osore, M.K., Kimani, E., Alati, V.M., Wambiji, N., Maina, G.W., Charo-Karisa, H. (2016/17). Quantification of Climate Change Implications using oyster suitability sites occurrence Model along the Kenya Coast. Journal of marine systems 165 (2017): 27-35.
- Aura, C.M., Hassan, F., Osore, M.K., Musa, S., Morara, G., Uku, J., (2016). A comprehensive public-private partnership concept for resources sustainability from a mega-project management multi-level perspective. International Journal of Management and Sustainability 4(11) : 218-236. DOI: 10.18488/journal.11/2015.4.11/18.104.22.168.
- Aura, C. M., Saitoh, S-I., Liu, Y., Hirawake, T., Baba, K. and Yoshida, T. (2016). Implications of marine environment change on Japanese scallop (Mizuhopecten yessoensis) aquaculture suitability: comparative study in Funka and Mutsu Bays, Japan. Aquaculture Research 47:2164-2182. doi:10.1111/are.12670.2015.
- Fondo, E.N., Kimani, E.N., Munga, C.N., Aura, M.C., Okemwa, G., Agembe, S. (2015). A Review on Kenyan Fisheries Research: 1970-2009. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science 13(2) 143 – 162.