Anthony’s research interests stem from a passion in all and that, which belongs to and is associated with ocean sciences. As an already experienced Advanced Open Water Diver and Scientific Diver (16 years diving experience) in varied and diverse marine environments, Anthony uses his skills not only for research purposes but also to document Kenya’s underwater sea life using a variety of visual census tools and techniques. He has been able to incorporate his passions and vast knowledge of the oceans into a career in ocean sciences and is looking at incorporating and expanding aspects of underwater photography and videography into is scientific work.
Currently, he is still involved on oceanic research investigating new and adaptive culture species and techniques for enhanced marine fish production and assessing critical habitats for marine coral reef ecosystems. Already, he played key instrumental roles in the development of two NRF-funded projects: (1) Design and Optimization of Cage Culture in Kwale and Kilifi Counties (DOCS) and (2) the Establishment of Kenya’s first Marine Hatchery. In addition, he has also been involved in coral culture and reef studies in Kenya’s south coast together with other stakeholders.
MSc. In Marine Environment and Resources
BSc. Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences
Certificate in Aquaculture
Certificate in Marine fish hatchery techniques
- Mwachireya, S. A., Nzioka, A. M. and Mutiso, D. N. (2017). Coral recruit-algal interactions in coral reef lagoons are mediated by riverine influences. International Journal of Ecology, vol. 2017, Article ID 1351854, 10 pages: doi: 10.1155/2017/1351854
- Nzioka, A., Waithaka, E., Mutie. A., Loki, P. and Boera, P. (2017). Catch assessment survey for Lake Naivasha to guide management of the fishery. Technical Report KMF/RS/2017/B1.3(ii)a, Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute, Mombasa.
- Boera, P., Waithaka, E., Mutie, A., Nzioka, A. and Loki, P (2017). Report on demarcation and protection of an identified fish-breeding site at Korongo in Lake Naivasha in collaboration with communities, and monitor the effect of protection on the site to inform management decisions. Technical Report KMF/RS/2017/B1.8(ii)c, Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute, Mombasa.
- Mutie, A., Boera, P., Waithaka E., Nzioka, A., Loki, P. and Keyombe, J.L.A. (2017). Monitoring the extent of macrophytes and other invasive weeds on Lake Naivasha and establish the impact on the fisheries to facilitate management. Technical Report KMF/RS/2017/B2.5(iv), Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute, Mombasa.
- Valencia, A., Andrieu, J., Nzioka, A., Cancio, I., and Ortiz-Zarragoitia, M. (2017). Burmuinaren eta gonadaren arteko harremanak ugalketaren eraenketan: gene esangarrien transkripzio-aldaketak Pasaiako Chelon labrosus korrokoien gametogenesian. Zientziak eta natur zientziak, IkerGazte (Paper 66). 7pp.
- Valencia, A., Andrieu, J., Nzioka, A., Cancio, I., and Ortiz-Zarragoitia, M. (2017). Relationship between the brain and the gonad in the reproductive process: Changes in the transcription of key genes during gametogenesis in the thicklip grey mullet Chelon labrosus, from Pasaia harbour. Science and natural sciences, IkerGazte (Paper 66). 7pp.
- Mutua, A. N. (2016). Gametogenesis related genes and apoptosis marker genes during the reproductive cycle of the thicklip grey mullet (Chelon labrosus Riso, 1927) of Pasaia Harbour (Bay of Biscay, South-western Europe); Possibilities for development of molecular markers of xenoestrogenic exposure (Master’s thesis).
- Valencia, A., Andrieu, J., Nzioka, A., Cancio, I., and Ortiz-Zarragoitia, M. (2017). Target gene transcription levels along the HPG-axis of female, male and intersex thicklip grey mullets from a polluted harbour. XI Congress of Iberian Association for Comparative Endocrinology, Vigo, Galicia, Spain, 13th – 15th July, 2017.
- Valencia, A., Andrieu, J., Nzioka, A., Cancio, I., and Ortiz-Zarragoitia, M. (2017). Alterations in gene expression in the HPG-axis of female, male and intersex mullets from a polluted harbour. 19th International Symposium on Pollutant Responses in Marine Organisms (PRIMO 19), Matsuyama, Japan, 30th June – 3rd July, 2017.
- Valencia, A., Andrieu, J., Nzioka, A., Cancio, I., and Ortiz-Zarragoitia, M. (2016). Transcriptional profiles of HPG-axis related genes in female, male and intersex thicklip grey mullets (Chelon labrosus). 8ISFE: 8th International Symposium on Fish Endocrinology, Gothenburg Sweden. July, 2016.
- Valencia, A., Andrieu, J., Nzioka, A., Cancio, I., and Ortiz-Zarragoitia, M. (2016). Brain and gonadal transcriptional profiles of HPG-axis related genes in female, male and intersex thicklip grey mullets (Chelon labrosus). Aquaculture, Endocrinology and Toxicology Abstracts, 220. VI Iberian Congress of Ichthyology, Murcia, Spain. 21st – 24th June, 2016.
- KCDP. (2015). Lamu Biodiversity and Ecosystem Health Assessment Technical Report: Research Geared towards Promoting Environmentally Sustainable Management of Kenya’s Coastal and Marine Resources, KMFRI technical report series, Mombasa, pp.45