Amon Kimeli carries out research on sediment dynamics along the Kenyan trying to understand the biophysical conditions that control sediment deposition & accretion and their possible effects on critical habitats including mangroves. Recently he has also been generating shallow and deep-water bathymetry by processing Singlebeam data obtained from acoustic echo-sounder (EK60) installed in RV Mtafiti and satellite imagery (remote sensing). He has experience in working with some acoustic systems including MBES (Kongsberg EM2040, EM122), SBES (Knudsen 320B, Simrad EK 60) and sidescan sonar (Klein3900). He also has an interest in GIS applications and modelling of sea level rise. He is also currently a PhD student at the Leibniz Centre for Tropical Marine Research (ZMT) GmbH at the Universität Bremen, Germany.
- Doctoral Degree in Natural Science, University of Bremen, Germany
- Postgraduate Certificate in Ocean Mapping and Category A Hydrography Certification from the University of New Hampshire, Centre for Coastal and Ocean Mapping, USA.
- MSc in Marine and Lacustrine Science and Management from Vrije Universiteit Brussels, Belgium.
- BSc in Geology from the University of Nairobi, Kenya
- General Bathymetry Chart of the Ocean (GEBCO) Sub-Committee on Undersea Feature Names (SCUFN).
- Geological Society of Kenya
- Kimeli, A., Ocholla, O., Okello, J., Koedam, N., Westphal, H. and Kairo, J., 2021. Geochemical and petrographic characteristics of sediments along the transboundary (Kenya–Tanzania) Umba River as indicators of provenance and weathering. Open Geosciences, 13(1), pp.1064-1083.
- Kimeli, A., Cherono, S., Mutisya, B., Tamooh, F., Okello, J., Westphal, H., Koedam, N. and Kairo, J., 2021. Tracing organic matter sources in the estuarine sediments of Vanga, Kenya, and provenance implications. Estuarine, Coastal and Shelf Science, 263, p.107636.
- Zimmer M, Kimeli A. 2021. Mangroven als Sedimentfallen und Küstenschützer. Geographische Rundschau 7/8: 26-31
- Mutia, D., Carpenter, S., Jacobs Z., Jebri, F., Kamau, J., Kimeli, A., Langat P., Makori, A., Nencioli, F., Painter, S., Popova, E., Raitsos, D. and Roberts, M. (2021). ‘Productivity driven by Tana River discharge is spatially limited in Kenyan coastal waters. Ocean and Coastal Management. 211, 105713.
- Kamau, J., Ngisiange, N., Ochola, O., Kilonzi, J., Kimeli, A., Mahongo, S.B., Ong’anda, H., Mitto, C., Ohowa, B., Magori, C. and Kimani, E. (2020). Factors influencing spatial patterns in primary productivity in Kenyan territorial waters. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science. pp.9-18.
- Fortnam, M., Atkins, M., Brown, K., Chaigneau, T., Frouws, A., Gwaro, K., Huxham, M., Kairo, J., Kimeli, A., Kirui, B. and Sheen, K. (2019). Multiple impact pathways of the 2015-16 El Niño in coastal Kenya. AMBIO 50(1), 174-189.
- Kimeli, A., Thoya, P., Ngisiang'e, N., Ong'anda, H. and Magori, C. (2018). Satellite-derived bathymetry: A case study of Mombasa port channel and it's approaches. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Sciences. 17(2), 93-102.
- Kosore, C., Ojwang, L., Maghanga, J., Kamau, J., Kimeli, A., Omukoto, J., Ngisiang'e, N., Mwaluma, J., Ong'anda, H., Magori, C. and Ndirui, E. (2018). Occurrence and ingestion of microplastics by zooplankton in Kenya's marine environment: first documented evidence. African Journal of Marine Science, 40(3), 225-234.
- Mwaura, J. M., Umezawa, Y., Furaha, J., Kimeli, A., Kamau, J., and Aura, C. M. (2017). Spatial variability of scleractinian coral bleaching susceptibility in 2010 El Niño–Southern Oscillation between northern and southern reefs, Kenya. Coastal Marine Science. 40, 17-27
- Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KMFRI), 2017. RV Mtafiti Cruise RVM/02/2017 Technical Report on Fish Biomass and the Environment of Kenya's
Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ).
- MGL15, C., & Calder, B. R. (2015). Cruise Report. Cruise to map Leg 6 of US Atlantic Continental Margin- see "Calder, B., & Gardner, J. (2008). US Law of the sea cruise
to map the foot of the slope of the Northeast US Atlantic Continental Margin: Leg 6".
- Kimeli A. K. (2013). Sedimentation in response to sea level rise in the mangroves of Mwache Creek, Mombasa-Kenya: a field and modeling study (Master's thesis).
- Kimeli, A. and Makori, A (2018). Marine Geomorphology and Sedimentology: in - KMFRI (2018) The RV Mtafiti: Marine Research towards Food Security and Economic
Development for Kenya. (Eds) Njiru JM, Ruwa RK, Kimani EN, Ong’anda HO, Okemwa GM and Osore MK. Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute, Mombasa, Kenya. 56-59 pp.