National Assembly Agriculture Committee Chair Hon Silas Tiren (seated 4th left) with his committee members pose for a photo with KMFRI BoM Chair Hon John Mumba (seated 2nd right) with his Board members and KMFRI DG Prof James Njiru at KMFRI, Mombasa, on 27th July 2021.
PS-SDFA & BE Dr. F. Owino, DG KMFRI Prof J. Njiru, DG KeFS D.Mungai, Fisheries Secretary Ms. L. Obungu for Fisheries and other stakeholders at the 2020 Frame Survey Validation Workshop at Kisumu Hotel on Saturday, 5th June, 2021
PS SDFA & BE Dr Francis Owino KMFRI BoM Chairman Hon John Safari Mumba, KMFRI DG Prof James Njiru held an interactive meeting with KMFRI scientists on 25/05/2021
KMFRI DG Prof James Njiru with NRF top officials who included Board member Prof Walter Oyawa, who paid him a courtesy call on 18/05/21.
Dr. Odoli (far left), Dr. Nyamwea (far right) and Ms. Safina Musa (second right) with participants during the sensitization for cage farmers (women groups) in Homa Bay County on fish value addition from 10th to 13th May 2021.
On 7th May, 2021 Director General KMFRI Prof. James Njiru (3rd left) joined CS Wildlife & Tourism in the launch of National Wildlife Census 2021 at Shimba Hills National Reserve, Kwale County. With them was DG KWS Brig (Rtd) J. Waweru (R), DG KMA R.Njue (4th L), Dr P.Omondi Director WRTI (2nd L). Census will also include Marine Mega Fauna along Kenya coast
KMFRI Director General, Prof. James Njiru (3rd right) with Governor Uasin Gishu County, HE Jackson Mandago (centre) and other County Officials in Eldoret during a consultative meeting on 3rd May, 2021 to establish KMFRI Station in the County
PS SDFA & BE Dr Francis Owino (centre), KMFRI BoM Chair Hon John Mumba (2nd right), KMFRI Director Prof James Njiru (left) during a courtesy call to Mombasa County commissioner Mr Gilbert Kitiyo.
The newly appointed Principal Secretary SDFA & BE Dr Francis O. Owino (seated centre) during his maiden visit at KMFRI Mombasa headquarters on 2nd March 2021.
Kenya Launches a coral reef fish project (Funded by Japan/FAO) to improve food security, livelihoods and maritime safety through increased resilience of coastal fishing communities
KMFRI Mombasa Center Director, Dr. Eric Okuku (centre) representing KMFRI Director and Assistant Director (Projects & Collaborations/CD Shimoni) Dr. James Kairo (right), meet Dr. Mathieu Guerin from France Embassy to explore possible research collaboration with French institutions.
KMFRI Director, Prof. James Njiru (right) exchange MoU with VC Pioneer International University, Dr Gideon Maina (left), this SDFA & BE MoU is on several areas of collaboration that includes Kenya Fisheries Services. The ceremony was witnessed by outgoing PS Prof. Micheni Ntiba on on 22nd Feb. 2021at Kilimo House, Nairobi
KMFRI Director, Prof. James Njiru (right) and Mombasa CD, Dr. Erick Okuku during the World Wetlands day on 2nd February, 2021 held at Sabaki Estuary, the celebration was officiated by the CS for Environment and Forestry Mr. Keriako Tobiko who led government officials and communities in planting mangrove trees
Director KMFRI Prof. James Njiru (right) with Deputy Director Freshwater System, Dr. Christopher Aura (centre) and Ag. ADF, Kenya Fisheries Services, Mr. Simon Munguti (left) during the Launch of Electronic Catch Assessment Survey (e-CAS) system and Stake Holder’s Engagement and dissemination Workshop on Environmental Clean-up and Mentorship Framework at Sosa Cottages in Vihiga County on 4 - 5th Jan, 2021
Dr. Domitila Kyule-Muendo is a Senior Research Scientist working with Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KMFRI). Currently, she is a Centre Director at KMFRI, Sagana incharge of coordinating and implementing research, administrative and financial activities and ensuring they are in tandem with the Institute’s strategic plan, vision and mandate. She is trained in Senior Management and a Strategic Leadership from Kenya School of Government, Embu Campus. During her academic and research experience spanning over 10 years, she has collaborated in the development and execution of donor funded research projects at national, regional and international tiers including (ASARECA, KAPAP and NRF Projects).
Currently, she is a principal Investigator of donor funded projects including (CSAPP, STFC KCSAP Projects). She has a vast knowledge and experience in post-harvest technologies, value addition, safety in fish and fish products and in general aspects of Aquaculture and fisheries thematic areas. She has published over 10 books and book chapters, over 25 papers in peer reviewed journals and has innovated over thirteen fish products and an improved fish smoking kiln. She sits in Technical & Vocational Education & training (TVET) Curriculum development committee on occupational standards for aquaculture Technicians, a Technical member in the Review of food safety bill and Policy and also a member in the development of fish marketing Policy and blue economy strategy for Kenya. In Kenya Marine & Fisheries Research institute (KMFRI), she is a committee member in several task forces including (Monitoring and evaluation, Risk management and KMFRI Performance Management committee) among other tasks.
Research Network: Research Gate
2014 to 2019: PhD Microbiology, Kenyatta University, Kenya
2007-2009: MSc in Limnology and Wetland ecosystems, UNESCO-IHE, Netherlands
1999-2003: Nairobi University BSC (Botany and zoology) Second class honors upper division
- Abwao J., Jung’a J., Barasa J.E, Kyule D., Opiyo M., Awuor J.F., Ogello E., Munguti J.M & G. A. Keya (2021) Selective breeding of Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus: A strategy for increased genetic diversity and sustainable development of aquaculture in Kenya, Journal of Applied Aquaculture https://www.tandfonline.com/loi/wjaa2021
- Munguti J.M, Kirimi JG, Obiero K.O, Ogello E.O, Sabwa J.A, Kyule D.N, Liti D.M & Levi M. Musalia L.M (2021) Critical Aspects of Aquafeed Value Chain in the Kenyan Aquaculture Sector- A Review Sustainable Agriculture Research; Vol. 10, No. 2; 2021 ISSN 1927-050X E-ISSN 1927-0518
- Munguti J.M., Kirimi J. G., Obiero K O., Ogello E.O., Kyule D., Liti D. M & L. M. Musalia (2021) AquaFeed Wastes: Impact on Natural Systems and Practical Mitigations—A Review Journal of Agricultural Science; 13 (1) 1916-9760
- Walter, E., Charles, M., Elick, O., Manfred, M., & Domitila, K. (2021). PREVALENCE OF ZOONOTIC CRYPTOSPORIDIUM SPP. ISOLATES IN NJORO SUB-COUNTY, NAKURU COUNTY, KENYA. African Journal of Infectious Diseases (AJID), 15(2), 3-9. https://doi.org/10.21010/ajid v15n2.2
- Kyule D. N., Fonda J.A, Ochiewo J., Munguti J.M, Obiero K.O, Ogello E.O., Opiyo M.A., Abwao J. and J. Kendi (2020) Perceived consumer preferences of fisheries products retailed in Kenyan markets Bioscience Research 17(4): 2486-2496
- Keyombe, J. L., Obiero, K., Waithaka, E., Outa, N., Donde, O., Kyule D. (2020), Understanding selected growth aspects in Redbelly Tilapia, Coptodon zilli (Gervais) and Largemouth Bass, Micropterus salmoides (Lacepède) in Lake Naivasha, Kenya; Fisheries Management Perspective. Pan Africa Science Journal, 1 (1): 64–76. https://www.panafricajournal.com/index.php/announce/viewarticle/126
- Opiyo M. A., Obiero K. O., Abwao J., Fonda J. A., Kyule D., J. Munguti (2020) Comparative Growth Performance of Genetically Male, Sex Reversed, and Mixed-Sex Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) Reared in Earthen Ponds in Sagana, Kenya Aquaculture Studies, 21(1) 23-30, http://doi.org/10.4194/2618-6381-v21_1_0
- Fonda, J. A., Obiero, K., Munguti, J., Oginga, J.O., Kyule, D., Opiyo, M. A., Oduor-Odote, P., Yongo, E., Owiti, H. & Ochiewo, J. (2019). Market linkages and distribution channels of cultured, captured and imported fish in Kenya Aquaculture studies, 19(1), http://doi.org/10.4194/2618-6381-v19_1_06
- Orina, P.S., Charo-Karisa, H., Munguti, J.M., Boera, P., Abwao, J., Kyule, D., Opiyo M. A., Marcial H. & Rasowo, J. O. (2018). A Comparative Study of Labeo victorianus (Bouelenger, 1901) and Oreochromis niloticus (Linnaeus, 1758) in Polyculture Systems (Lakes & Reservoirs: Research and Management, 1-7)
- Opiyo, M.A., Orina, P., Kyule, D., Munguti, J. M. Nyonje, B.M. & Charo-Karisa, H. (2016) Growth performance and survival of three African Catfish (Clarias gariepinus, Burchell 1882) strains reared in hapas in Kenya. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa Special Edition 2016 - Fisheries and Aquaculture Resources, 64 (2): 31 – 39. ISSN 0378 – 9721.
- Kyule, D. Opiyo, M.A. Ogello E., Obiero, K. Maranga, B., Orina, P., Charo-Karisa, H. & Munguti, J. 2016. Determination of Fish Value Added Product- Preferences among the Residents of Wote Town, Makueni County, Kenya. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa Special Edition 2016 - Fisheries and Aquaculture Resources 64 (2): 69 – 78.
- Kyule, D. Opiyo, M.A. Ogello E., Obiero, K. Maranga, , Orina, P., Charo-Karisa, H. and Munguti, J. (2016). Determination of Fish Value Added Product- Preferences Among the Residents of Wote Town, Makueni County, Kenya . Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa Special Edition 2016 - Fisheries and Aquaculture Resources 64 (2): 69 – 78. ISSN 0378 – 9721. www.au-ibar.org/component/jdownloads/finish/14/2969
- Opiyo, M. A., Mugo, J. B., Kyule, D. and Okemwa, G. (2016). Overview of Ornamental Fish Production in Kenya: Current status, Opportunities and Challenges. Bulletin of Animal Health and Production in Africa Special Edition 2016 - Fisheries and Aquaculture Resources, 64 (2): 193 – 200. ISSN 0378 – 9721. auibar.org/component/jdownloads/finish/14/2969
- Munguti, J.M., Musa, S., Orina, P.S., Kyule, D.N., Opiyo, M. A. Charo-Karisa, H & Ogello, E.O. (2014). An overview of current status of Kenyan fish feed industry and feed management practices, challenges and opportunities. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies; 1(6): 128-137. ISSN: 2347-5129
- Kyule D. N, E Yongo, M A Opiyo, K Obiero, J M Munguti & H Charo-Karisa (2014) Fish product development and market trials of fish and fish products in Kenya: a case study of Kirinyaga and Meru Counties, Livestock Research for Rural Development 26 (06)
- Obiero, K., Opiyo, M.A., Munguti, M.J., Orina, P.S., Kyule, D., Yongo, E., Githukia, C.M. & Charo-Karisa, H. (2014). Consumer preference and marketing of farmed Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) and African Catfish (Clarias gariepinus) in Kenya: Case Study of Kirinyaga and Vihiga Counties, International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic studies 1(5): 67-76. ISSN: 2347-5129.
Selected Author Books & Book Chapters
- Munguti J., Obiero K, Orina P, Mirera D., Kyule D., Mwaluma J., Opiyo M., Musa S., Ochiewo J. Njiru. J, Ogello E. & Hagiwara A (Eds) (2021). State of Aquaculture Report in Kenya 2021: Towards Nutrition Sensitive Fish Food Systems. Techplus Media House Nairobi 190 p
- Kyule-Muendo D, Awuor F J., Githukia C., Kendi J., Mziri V., Obiero K., Orina P. (2020). Post-Harvest Management, Value Addition and Fish Marketing. In: Munguti et al., (Eds). State of Aquaculture in Kenya 2020: Towards Nutrition -Sensitive Fish Food Systems; Chapter 6: Pages 88–96. Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute, Mombasa, Kenya
- Mary Opiyo, Venny Mziri, Safina Musa, Domitila Kyule, Sheban Hinzano, Miriam Wainaina, Esther Magondu, Kenneth Werimo, and Veronica Ombwa (2020). Fish disease management and biosecurity systems. In: Munguti et al., (Eds). State of Aquaculture in Kenya 2020: Towards Nutrition -Sensitive Fish Food Systems; Chapter 7: Pages 97–126
- Obiero, K., Munguti J., Kyule D., Nyonje B., Mwaluma, J. (2020). Development Strategies and Prospects for Sustainable Aquaculture Development in Kenya. In: Munguti et al., (Eds). State of Aquaculture in Kenya 2020: Towards Nutrition -Sensitive Fish Food Systems; Chapter 10: Pages 153-158
- Munguti, J.M., Obiero K., Kyule D, Orina, P S, Githukia C.M, Opiyo M.A, Fonda J.A, Elijah E, Ondiba R., Abwao J, Musa S, and Njiru J. (2020) Training of Trainers (ToT) manual for aquaculture value chain, Master Trainers’ Manual, Kenya Climate Smart Agriculture Project (KCSAP) Secretariat, KALRO Headquarters, Nairobi, Kenya
- Kyule-Muendo D., Munguti J.M, Opiyo M. A., Obiero K. O., Githukia C. M., Orina P.S., Njiru J.M.& Charo-Karisa H. (2017) Fish Recipe Book, Vol. 1, Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KMFRI), Kenya Literature Bureau, Nairobi, Kenya. 45pp
- Opiyo M, Charo-Karisa H., Obiero K., Munguti J., Orina P.S., Ogello E.O., Nyoro J., Kyule D.N., Nyonje B., and Omollo B.O., (2017). Overview of Good Aquaculture Practices in Kenya. Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KMFRI), 34pp.