Patrick Gwada is a Senior Research Officer, with over 25 years’ Research and Consultancy in Marine Critical Habitats (Intertidal flats, Mangrove, Seagrass, Seaweeds) and large-scale infrastructural developments within the coastal and marine areas.
Research interests include marine and terrestrial biodiversity; ecological functions and services; environmental impacts related to port environment infrastructural developments; off-shore oil and gas developments, and submarine sand harvesting hazards/risks. Additional interests are in contingency planning, causal chain analysis (CCA), root-cause analysis (RCA), strategic environmental assessment (SEA), environmental and social management framework (ESMF) development, strategic action planning, ecological service restoration, mitigation and management of impacts.
He is a member of a number of several professional bodies: WIOMSA in Zanzibar; the International Society for Mangrove Ecosystems (ISME) in Japan; Kenya Sea Turtle Conservation Committee, (KESCOM); Kenya National Oceanographic & Hydrographic Committee (KNOHC), the Environment Institute of Kenya (EIK) and the National Quality Institute of Kenya (NQI). He is a licensed Practitioner and Lead Auditor of ISO – 9001:2015; ISO 14001:2015, ISO/IEC 17025:2005 and ISO 27001:2015.
- J. Bolton, H. A. Oyieke, P. Gwada. (2007): The seaweeds of Kenya: Checklist, history of seaweed study, coastal environment, and analysis of seaweed diversity and biogeography; South African Journal of Botany - S Afr J Bot. 73(1):76-88.
- Munga, S. Mwangi, J. Kamau, M.M. Nguli, P. Gwada, L.N. Daudi, H. Ong’anda, S.M. Mwaguni, H.S. Massa, M. Tole, J.M. Onyari (2006): Land-based activities, pollution sources and levels in water and sediment in the coastal and marine area of Kenya; UNEP-GEF WIO-LaB Project report: Addressing Land Based Activities in the Western Indian Ocean, UNEP.
- Patrick Gwada, (2003): An assessment of seagrass survival and functioning in response to manipulations in sediment redox at Nyali Lagoon, Kenya. WIOMSA
- G. Kairo, F. Dahdouh-Guebas, P. Gwada, C. Ochieng, N. Koedam (2002): Regeneration status of mangrove forests in Mida Creek, Kenya: a compromised or secured future? AMBIO A Journal of the Human Environment, 31(7-8): 562-8.
- Muthiga, S. Mwangi, D. Kirugara, T.R. McClanahan, J. Uku, S. Ndirangu, P. Gwada, M. Pakia, G. Moragwa, S. Kioko (2001): The Biophysical and Ecological Profile of Diani-Chale. KWS technical reports
- Gwada, T. Makoto, Y. Uezu (2000): Leaf phenological traits in the mangrove Kandelia candel (L.) Druce; Aquatic Botany - Aquat Bot.; 68(1):1-14.
Consultancy reports most cited since 2020
- World Bank EIA Report Disclosed (Report Number SFG5623) – url:https://documents.worldbank.org/en/publication/documents-reports/documentdetail/856121562908569421/environmental-and-social-impact-assessment;
- Consultancy for the 2021 JICA funded port development project, hosted by KMFRI, on Water Quality, Biodiversity Assessments and Hydrodynamics Survey of the Kenya Port environments and Kenyan lagoons for the proposed Offshore dumpsite for the Port of Mombasa;
- Consultancy for the 2020 Spain’s Alma Water Servicios Espana SL funded project, hosted by KMFRI, on Water Quality, Biodiversity Assessments and Hydrodynamics Survey of the Kenyan reef flats and lagoons, for proposed Desalination Plants for Mombasa County