B.Sc. (Hons) – Chemistry University of Nairobi
M.Sc. (Chemical Oceanography) - Tokyo University of Marine Science and Technology, Japan
Ph.D (highest honors) – Marine Chemistry - University of Brussels, Belgium
- Kazungu, J.M. and L. Goeyes (1989): Isotope discrimination during ammonium isolation diffusion process for N-15 isotope analysis. Discovery and innovation journ. Vol. 1 No.3,55-56).
- Kazungu, J.M, (1989): Regeneration and Assimilation of nitrogen compounds in Marine and Freshwater environments using N-15 Isotope Technique. VUB, Analy. Chem. Tech.report.pp39.
- Kazungu, J.M., F. Dehairs and L. Goeyens (1990): Nutrients distribution patterns in Tudor estuary (Mombasa, Kenya) during rainy season. Kenya journ.Sci.Tech.Ser.B.Bol.10:47-61.
- Kazungu, J.M. (1990): Seasonal fluctuation of nitrate-nitrogen in Tudor estuary, Mombasa, Kenya journ.Scie.Tech.Series A. Vol.II
- Kazungu, J.M. (1990): The Prime Gyre off the Somali Coast. Discovery and Inno.Vol.2pp 37-40
- Hemminga, M.A., F.Dehairs, J. Kazungu and M. Ngoile (1991): Interlinkages between Eastern African Coastal Ecosystems. A Scientific project proposal submitted to the European commission for funding. EEC STD – 3 Project No. ERB3504 PL910572 (Accepted, 1992)
- RAO, R.G., A.F. Woitchik, L. Goeyens, J. Kazungu and F. Dehairs (1993): Carbon, nitrogen contents an stable carbon isotope abundance in mangrove leaves from an East African coastal lagoon (Kenya). Journ. of Aquatic botany, 47:175-183.
- Hemminga, M.A., F.J. Slim, J.M. Kazungu, G.M. Ganssen and N.M. Kruyt (1994): Carbon outwelling from a mangrove forest with adjacent seagrass beds and coral reefs (Gazi, Bay, Kenya). Mar.Ecol.Prog.ser.106:291-301.
- Hemminga, M.A., P. Gwada, F.J. Slim, Koeyer, P. and J.M. Kazungu (1995): Leaf production and nutrient contents of the seagrass Thalassodendron ciliatum in the proximity of a mangrove forest (Gazi Bay, Kenya) journ. of Aquatic botany, 50:159-170.
- Hemminga, M.A., J.M. Kazungu, P. Polk, L. Saldanha, D. Gove, R. Johnstone and S. Mohammed (1995): Anthropogenically induced changes in groundwater flow and quality, and the functioning of Eastern African nearshore ecosystems. A scientific project proposal submitted to the European commission for funding. (Accepted, 1996).
- Woitchik, A.F. Woitchik, L. Goeyens, J. M. Kazungu and F. Dehairs (1997): Nitrogen enrichment during decomposition of mangrove leaf letter in an East African coastal lagoon (Kenya); relative importance of biological nitrogen fixation. Biogeochemistry (accepted).
- Kazungu, J.M. (1996): Nitrogen – Transformation Processes in a Tropical Mangrove Ecosystem (Gazi Bay, Kenya). Ph.D dissertation, Dept. Analytical Chemistry, University of Brussels (VUB), Belgium. Pp 198
- Kitheka, J.U …, B.O Ohowa, B.M. Mwashote, W.S. Shimbira, J.M. Mwaluma and J.M. Kazungu (1996): water circulation dynamics, water column nutrients and plankton productivity in a well – flushed tropical bay in Kenya. Netherlands Journal of Sea Research, 35 (4): 1-11.
- Kazungu, J.M., A.F. Woitchik, L.Goeyens and F. Dehairs (1999): Is Marine Particulate Organic Material (POM) the possible source of organic Nitrogen enrichment in Mangrove sediment? Biochemistry (submitted).
- Bosire, J.O, J.G. Kairo, J.Kazungu, N.Koedam, F.Dahdou h-Guebas; Spatial and temporal regeneration dynamics in Ceriops tagal (Perr) C.B. Rob. (Rhizophoraceae) mangrove forests in Kenya. Western Indian Ocean J. Mar. Sci. Vol.7, No.1, pp. 69-80, 2008.
- Joseph Kamau, Kazungu, Johnson Michael and Mingzhe Zhai: Antropogenic and seasonal influences on the dynamics of selected heavy metals in Lake Naivasha, Kenya Lakes & Reservoirs: Research & Management 2008 13: 145 – 154
- Joseph Kamau, A. Gachanja, J. Kazungu, Mingzhe Zhai: The seasonal influence on the spatial distribution of dissolved selected metals in Lake Naivasha, Kenya Physics and Chemistry of the Earth 67 – 69, (2014)
Student supervision (Ph.D thesis)
- John Gchuki: Carbon and Nitrogen cycling processes in the papyrus dominated wetland ecosystems of Lake Victoria (Kenya): The case of the lower Sondu Miriu Swamp. Ph.D thesis at Free University of Brussels, Belgium (1998-2002).
- Melckzedeck Osore: A study of the zooplankton (systematic & community structure) of a tropical mangrove creek, Mtwapa, Kenya Ph.D thesis at Free University of Brussels, Belgium (1998-2002).