Jacob Abwao is a research scientist based in Sagana aquaculture centre. I have had 10 years of experience in areas of fish nutrition and fish breeding. Through my job engagement, I have interacted with fish farmers through training. Am currently leading a team of scientists on selective breeding of both the catfish and Nile tilapia in Sagana centre. This is one of the activities of the Kenya climate smart Agriculture project. Am also spearheading the domestication of indigenous species like Labeo victorianus, Oreochromis jipe and tilapia baringoensis. My other research study is on the feasibility of cage culture in the ASAL focusing on the community around the seven folks dams in Embu and Machakos counties. I have performed socio economic studies on the role of women in the cage culture value chain in Homabay County. As part of my doctorate studies am doing assessment of genetic diversity and structure of Nile tilapia, O. niloticus in Kenya for optimization of aquaculture and conservation. I do supervise students on attachment and train farmers and hatchery managers on the good aquaculture practices. I was involved in proposal development of the Kenya climate smart Agriculture project, which has been awarded.
Publications: Research gate link: https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Jacob_Abwao2
Linked in : https://www.linkedin.com/in/jacob-abwao-70463837/
Current: Student at the University of Nairobi pursuing PhD Degree in Animal Genetics and Breeding
2015-2017: University of Eldoret, Master of Science in Aquaculture
2001-2005: Moi University, Eldoret-Kenya, Bachelor of Science in Fisheries and Aquatic sciences
- Jacob Abwao, Joseph Jung’a, James E. Barasa, Domitila Kyulea, Mary Opiyo, Jane Fonda Awuor, Erick Ogello, Jonathan M. Munguti, and George A. Keya. Selective breeding of Nile tilapia, Oreochromis niloticus: A strategy for increased genetic diversity and sustainable development of aquaculture in Kenya. Journal of Applied Aquaculture. https://doi.org/10.1080/10454438.2021.1958728
- Paul Orina, Erick, Elijah Kembenya, Cecilia Muthoni, Safina Musa, Veronica Ombwa, Venny Mwainge, Jacob Abwao, Robert Ondiba, John Kengere , Stephano Karoza. The state of cage culture in Lake Victoria: A focus on sustainability, rural economic empowerment, and food security. Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management, 24(1): 56–63, 2021
- Jacob Abwao 1*, Safina Musa, Robert Ondiba, Zach Ogari. Socioeconomic dynamics and characterization of land- based aquaculture in Western Kenya. Aquatic Ecosystem Health & Management, 24(1): 64–72, 2021.
- Domitila N. Kyule, Jane A. Fonda, Jacob Ochiewo, Jonathan M. Munguti, Kevin O. Obiero, Erick O. Ogello, Mary A. Opiyo, Jacob Abwao and Josyline Kendi (2020). Perceived consumer preferences of fisheries products retailed in Kenyan markets. Bioscience Research, 17(4):2486-2496.
- Mary Opiyo, Kevin Obiero, Jacob Abwao, Fonda Jane Awuor, Domitila Kyule, Jonathan Munguti (2020). Comparative Growth Performance of Genetically Male, Sex-Reversed, and Mixed-Sex Nile Tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) Reared in Earthen Ponds in Sagana, Kenya. Aquaculture Studies, 21(1), 23-30. http://doi.org/10.4194/2618-6381-v21_1_03
- Jacob Abwao and Jane Fonda (2019). State of women in the fisheries and aquaculture value chain in Homabay county, Kenya. Towards enhancing sustainable livelihoods and economic empowerment. Livestock Research for Rural Development 31 (12)
- Betty Nyonje, Mary Opiyo, Paul Orina, Jacob Abwao, Miriam Wainaina and Harisson Charo-Karisa (2018). Current status of freshwater fish hatcheries, broodstock management and fingerling production in the Kenya aquaculture sector. Livestock Research for Rural Development. Vol. 30(1).
- Robert Ondiba, Reuben Omondi, Kobingi Nyakeya, Jacob Abwao, Safina Musa and Elijah Oyoo-Okoth (2018). Environmental constraints on macrophytes distribution and diversity in a tropical endorheic freshwater lake (Lake Baringo, Kenya). International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies; 6(3): 251-259.
- Paul Orina, Harisson Charo-Karisa, Jonathan Munguti?Priscilla Boera?Jacob Abwao,? Kyule M. Opiyo, H. Marcial, J. Manyala, J. O. Rasowo (2018). A comparative study of Labeo victorianus (Bouelenger, 1901) and Oreochromis niloticus (Linnaeus, 1758) grown in polyculture systems. Lakes and Reservoirs. DOI: 10.1111/lre.12202
- Christopher Mulanda Aura, Safina Musa, Ernest Yongo, John K. Okechi, James Njiru Zachary Ogari, Robert Wanyama, Harrison Charo-Karisa, Henry Mbugua, Samson Kidera, Veronica Ombwa and Jacob Abwao (2018). Integration of mapping and socio-economic status of cage culture: Towards balancing lake-use and culture fisheries in Lake Victoria, Kenya. Aquaculture Research. 49:532–545.
- Jacob Abwao, Musa Safina, Robert Ondiba, Erick Ogello and Kevin Obiero (2017). Effect of replacing marine protein with hydrolyzed feather meal on growth, apparent digestibility and body composition of juvenile tilapias; Oreochromis mossambicus (Peters, 1852). International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies; 5(6): 242-250
- Paul Orina, Joseph Rasowo, Mary Opiyo, Pricilla Boera, Jacob Abwao, Benard Maranga, Harrison Charo-Karisa (2014). Optimization of seed and broodstock transport densities for improved survival of African carp (Labeo victorianus, Boulenger, 1901). International Journal of Chemical Studies ISSN: 2321-4902 Vol. 2 (2).
- Jacob Abwao, Pricilla Boera, Musa Safina, Jonathan Mbonge Munguti and Erick Ochieng Ogello (2014). Effect of Different Artificial Diets on the Culture Potential of Labeo victorianus (Boulenger, 1909) Reared in Aquariums. International Journal of Advanced Research .Volume 2, Issue 11, 246-252
- Abwao J.O; Boera P; Orina P.S; Munguti J.M; Ogello O. (2014). The potential of periphyton based aquaculture for Nile tilapia (O. niloticus) production. A Review. International Journal of Fisheries and Aquatic Studies (IJFAS). Vol. 2(1), 147-152.
- Erick Ochieng Ogello, Safina Musa, Christopher Mulanda Aura, Jacob Abwao and Jonathan Mbonge Munguti. An Appraisal of the Feasibility of Tilapia Production in Ponds Using Biofloc Technology: A review. International Journal of Aquatic Science ISSN: 2008-8019 Vol. 5, No. 1, 21-39, 2014
Books and Book Chapters
- Munguti, J.M., Obiero K., Kyule D, Orina, P S, Githukia C.M, Opiyo M.A, Fonda J.A, Elijah E, Ondiba R., Abwao J, Musa S, and Njiru J. (2019) Training of Trainers (ToT) manual for aquaculture value chain, Master Trainers’ Manual, Kenya Climate Smart Agriculture Project (KCSAP) Secretariat, KALRO Headquarters
- Orina PS., Ogello E., Kembenya E., Githukia C., Musa S., Ombwa V., Mwainge VM., Abwao J., Ondiba RN and Okechi JK (2018). STATE OF CAGE CULTURE IN LAKE VICTORIA, KENYA. Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute.
Membership to Professional Bodies
- Member of Sustainable Aquaculture Research Networks in Sub Saharan Africa (SARNISSA)
- Member of the United Nations University Fisheries Training Programme, East African alumni (UNFTP- EA)