Magori has been working for KMFRI as a Research Scientist for 26 years. His area of specialization is on physicall oceanography with special emphasis on numerical modelling of physical processes and shallow water dynamics.
Magori is the Global Sea Level Observing System (GLOSS) Regional Coordinator for Western Indian Ocean (WIO) region and a member of GLOSS Group of Experts. He assisted in drafting the sea level component of GOOS-AFRICA project proposal that aimed to establish a Regional Ocean Observing and Forecasting System for Africa (ROOFS-AFRICA). He was also Cruise Coordinator for Kenya in the UNDP-GEF-funded Agulhas and Somali Current Large Marine Ecosystem (ASCLME).
He has been one of the lead scientists in two regional research projects on “Resilience and Adaptation of Mangroves and Dependent Communities in the WIO Region to the Impacts of Climate Change” and “Shoreline Changes in Kenya and Tanzania, their Socio Economic Impacts and Mitigation Options”. Both projects were funded by Marine Science for Management (MASMA) grant of Western Indian Ocean Marine Science Association (WIOMSA).
Magori has also been actively involved in consultations for the establishment of national multi-hazard warning system for Kenya that will ultimately form part of the Indian Ocean Tsunami Early Warning System (IOTWS). He is a member of Indian Ocean Panel (IOP). He has also been involved in Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA) study for the construction of a new container terminal at the port of Mombasa and construction the first three berths and associated infrastructure at the Lamu port.
He has assisted Technical University of Mombasa (TUM) and Pwani University to develop curriculum in oceanography. He is also a member of the standing committee in the implementation of the United Nations Convention on the Law of the Sea (UNCLOS) seabed mining rules.
He has published several papers and book chapters in peer reviewed journals as well as technical reports.
Ph.D. (Applied Science)
MSc. (Physical Oceanography)
BSc. ( Mathematics )
- Athman SH, Hole GM, Magori C, Ndirangu S, Zamu MS (2021): Fish Cage Site Selection at Kibuyuni in Kwale County, Kenya: Tidal Variations, Waves Height, Current Speed and Direction Status. Journal of Aquatic Research & Development, 12: 626.
- C Kosore, L Ojwang, J Maghanga, J Kamau, A Kimeli, J Omukoto, N Ngisiag’e, J Mwaluma, H Ong’ada, C Magori & E Ndirui (2018): Occurrence and ingestion of microplastics by zooplankton in Kenya's marine environment: first documented evidence, African Journal of Marine Science, 40:3, 225-234.
- Kimeli A.,Thoya P., Ngisiang’e N., Onganda and Magori C. (2018): Satellite-derived bathymetry: A case study of Mombasa Port Channel and its approaches, Kenya, Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science 17 (2 ) 2018 93-102.
- Shaghudhe Y., Mburu W., Arthurton R., Dubi A., Gachuiri S., Magori C., Kangwe J., Msuya F., Mwaipopo R., Nyandwi N., Ochiewo J., Ong'anda H., Mtui R., Sanga I., Shalli M., & Uku J. (2015): Shoreline Change in Tanzania and Kenya: Manual for Assessment and Design of Mitigation Strategies. WIOMSA Book Series No. 16. Zanzibar: WIOMSA xii + 85. 2015.
- Magori C. (2015): Characterization of Estuarine Flow by Means of Time Series Cross-Correlation and Cross-Spectrum Analysis: A Case Study of Mtwapa Creek, Kenya. International Research Journal of Geology and Mining. Vol. 5(3), IRJGM, (2276-6618).
- W. Shaghude, J. W. Mburu, J.Uku, N. Nyandwi, C. Magori, J. Ochiewo, I. Sanga, R.S. Arthurton (2013): Beach Sand Supply and Transport at Kunduchi in Tanzania and Bamburi in Kenya. Western Indian Ocean J. Mar. Sci. Vol. 11. No. 2, pp. 135-154.
- Aman A., Elisee Toualy, & Magori C.(2012): Physical Coastal Oceanography in GCLME Region, Efforts and Progress in Coastal Observing System Along West African Coasts. LAP Lambert Academic Publishing, ISBN: 978-3-659-24072-0. 72pp.
- Aman A. and Magori C. (2009): Is the Sea Level Rising? UNESCO –IOC 2009 African Oceans and Coasts, Edited by Odido M. And Mazzilli S (Eds). IOC Information Document, 1255, UNESCO Regional Bureau for Science and Technology in Africa, Kenya. Book Chapter 4. pp 25-34.
- Merrifield M. A., Firing Y. L., Aarup T., Magori C., Brundrit G., and Turetsky N. (2005): Tide Gauge Observations of the Indian Ocean Tsunami, December 26, 2004. Geophysical Research Letters. Vol. 32, GLO22610, pp1-4.
- Magori C. (2004): Hydrodynamic Modeling of a Mangrove-Fringed Estuary, Mtwapa Creek, Kenya. Ph.D. Thesis, Free University of Brussels, Belgium. 191 pp.
- Aarup T., Adekoya A., Aman. A., Brundrit G., Magori C. and Woodworth P. (2002): Position Paper on the Status of GLOSS in Africa. Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO. IOC/INF-1165.