I am a Research Scientist at KMFRI with over 10 years of experience including various marine research projects; such as tuna fishery, lobster fishery, fisheries catch assessment survey at Faza in Lamu County, and Beach seine fishery. Other research interests includes fish population dynamics, fish stock assessment and small-scale tuna fishery. I have been a member of longline tuna fishery in KMFRI Observer Programme taskforces.
Athman is has been running several projects; both, as the Principal Investigator and Co-investigator:
- Characterization of the small-scale tuna fishery in Kenya
- Biology of Lobster fishery In Lamu
- Effects of artisanal and industrial longline fishing on the population demography of yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) exploited in Kenyan waters
- Enabling sustainable exploitation of coastal tuna species
- Beach Seine gear selectivity in Kiunga, Lamu county
- Msc. In Fisheries (underway)
Bsc. Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences
- Almubarak Athman, Gladys M. Okemwa and Jibril Olunga, 2021 Effects of artisanal and industrial longline fishing on the population demography of yellowfin tuna (Thunnus albacares) exploited in Kenyan waters, 18 pp
- Wambiji, E. Kimani, A. Athman, S. Mwamburi, T. Mkare and J. Olunga. Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute (KMFRI) 2021. An assessment of the status of key commercial fisheries (North Kenya Bank deep water snappers). KMFRI Research Report No. OCS/FIS/2020-2021/ C1.2.
- M. Okemwa, A. A. Athman, F. Mzingirwa., E. N. Kimani and Warwick Sauer 2020 Status of the coastal tuna fishery targeting Kawakawa and Skipjack. KMFRI15pp
- Abubakar AA (2017) Characterization of the small-scale tuna fishery in Kenya. Master of Science (Msc). Pwani University. pp120.
- Kimani, M. Ontomwa, A. Almubarak, H. Ong’anda, B. Orembo, E. Mbaru, T. K. Mkare, J. Mwangata, B. Kiilu, N. Wambiji, and C. Odindo 2020 Status of longline fishery stocks and bycatch species. KMFRI pp30
- Mueni, E. Athman, A., Mike, O. Kiprono, J . Wellington, D Mzingirwa, F , Waweru, G., Manyala, J., Gonda, J. (2014). Kenya lobster fishery stock assessment. KCDP Project. KMFRI, Mombasa (KMFRI Research Report No. OCS/ FIS/FY /13-14/01)