Alex Kimathi is a Research Scientist in KMFRI with wide knowledge on marine plant ecology. Currently I am attached to mariculture department under Aquaculture Division. I charged with coordination and supervision of seaweed mariculture research interventions. I am among the leading scientists in introduction of seaweed cultivation in Kenya and the implementation of Kenya coastal developments projects, specifically the upscaling of commercial seaweed faming in villages in the southern coast of Kenya between 2009 and 2015. Being a trained SCUBA diver and an active member of seagrass Net group in KMFRI, I also participate in seagrass research activities including habitat mapping and monitoring. I am also a member of Scientific Monitoring and Evaluation Committee in KMFRI.
Publications: Research gate link: https://www.researchgate.net/publication/329601116
https://www.semanticscholar.org/paper/How-effective-are-MPAs-Predation-control PDF] Seaweed Farming Policy Brief – 1 220.127.116.11 › kmfri › bitstream
- 2015 - 2020: MSc in Botany (Plant Ecology), Jomo Kenyatta University of Agriculture and Technology, Thika, Kenya.
- 2009-2013: BSc. Hons (Fisheries and Aquatic Sciences), University of Eldoret, Kenya.
- 1998- 2000: Diploma in Applied Biology, Technical University of Mombasa
- Kimathi A.G, Wakibia J.G, Gichua M. K 201 Growth rates of Eucheuma denticulatum and Kappaphycus alvarezii (Rhodophyta; Gigartinales) cultured using modified off-bottom and floating raft techniques in the Kenyan coast. Western Indian Ocean Journal of Marine Science
- Kimathi, A.,Mirera,, H.O.D., Wainaina,M., Ntabo,J., Wairimu, M.E. (2018). Seaweed farming Policy brief-1. Seaweed farming Industry in Kenya; Tapping into the blue Economy and mitigating climate changeImpacts. KMFRI Mariculture publications number, 001/2018
- Mwaluma,J., Mirera, H.O.D., Wainaina, M., Wairimu, M.E., Kimathi, A. (2018). Mud crab farming policy brief-2: Improving livelihoods through mud crab farming in coastal Kenya; Research innovations for food security and livelihoods. KMFRI mariculture publications number 002/2018.
- Kimathi A. G, Wakibia J. G, Gichua, M. K. (2018). Growth rates of Eucheuma denticulatum and Kappaphycus alvarezii (Rhodophyta; Gigartinales) cultured using modified off-bottom and floating raft techniques in the Kenyan coast. WIO Journal of Marine Science 17 (2 ) 2018 11-24
- Kimathi, A.G and Kaunda, B. Arara (2013). Diet and food preference of sea urchin; Tripneustus gratilla (Linnaeus, 1758) in a seaweed cultivated and non-cultivated seagrass beds at Kibuyuni-Shimoni, Kenya.(Undergraduate thesis)
- Eklöf1 ,*, Fröcklin1 S., Lindvall1 A, Stadlinger1 N, Kimathi2A, Uku2J. Tim McClanahan3 T R. (2006). How effective are MPAs? Predation control and ‘spill-in effects’ in seagrass–coral reef lagoons under contrasting fishery management
MEMBERSHIP TO PROFESSIONAL BODIES
- Member of Western Indian Ocean Marine Sciences Association (WIOMSA)
- Member of Kenya Sea Turtle Conservation Movement (KESCOM)