On 5th August 2022. Prof James Njiru CEO-KMFRI had a collaborative meeting with Mr. K. Takarijanto Counsel Republic of Indonesia.
KMFRI Kegati hosts the Honorary Consul of the Republic of Kenya in the Hellenic Republic (Greece) Mrs Vicky Pantazopoulou met the Assistant Director of Freshwater Aquaculture (Dr Paul Orina) to discuss possible research collaboration between KMFRI and Greek institutions.
KMFRI CEO, Prof. James Njiru with participants during a workshop in Kisumu on Harmful Algal Bloom (HABs) project. KMFRI is collaborating with Kisii University and Bowling Green State University, USA.
CS, Sports and Heritage - Amb. Amina Mohamed (R), KMFRI CEO Prof. James Njiru, PS State Department of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Blue Economy, Dr. Fred Owino among others, after the side event on Blue Economy investment sports and the Environment.
On 30th May 2022 KMFRI CEO Prof James Njiru (standing 4th left) launched Beach cleanups and community awareness at Congo Beach, Ukunda, Kwale County.
KMFRI in partnership with Kitanda Vzw handed over a fish farming project to the residents of Bamba, Kavunzoni, Goshi location in Kilifi county on 23rd May, 2022.
KMFRI CEO, Prof James Njiru (right) exchange collaboration documents with President of National Institute of Oceanography (NIOF) of Egypt Prof. Amr Hamouda during the Intergovernmental Oceanographic Commission of UNESCO (IOC-UNESCO) Africa chapter meeting in Cairo, Egypt on 10th May, 2022
KMFRI CEO Prof. James Njiru (2nd left) met with Prof. Stuart Hamilton (middle) of Salisbury University in the United States today at the KMFRI Nairobi offices to discuss collaboration on new projects.
KMFRI CEO Prof. James Njiru (right) with NHIF CEO Dr. Peter Kamunyo during a meeting on 26th January, 2022 to discuss the enhanced comprehensive medical insurance cover for KMFRI staff
Hezekiel Gikambi Peter
A Strategic Communication professional, Media and Public Relations expert, media trainer, Swahili scholar and Corpus linguist with over a decade of experience working nationally, regionally and internationally with both the public and private institutions. Currently Assistant Director Strategic Communication in charge of Corporate Communication and Public Relation at Kenya Marine and Fisheries Research Institute(KMFRI).
He leverages technology and social media in the enhancement and promotion of corporate image, management of public policies, institutional communication strategies, information management and marketing, messaging, cultivating partnerships and transforming society.
Gikambi has been heading Marketing and Communication department at Kenyatta National Hospital the leading teaching and referral for 3 years. Before that he was a Translation Consultant, Swahili Localization Lead Reviewer with Uber/Moravia and seasoned translations Expert of Swahili/English and English/Swahili for many years. He is a renowned author of several Swahili books for schools in Kenya and Tanzania among them Safari Ya Serengeti (EAEP), Ningependa Kusahau(EAEP), Johari ya Kiswahili (Ujuzi-TZ), Peak Encyclopaedia (EAEP), Smart Score Encyclopaedia (Longhorn) etc. Hezekiel has also been an Education Features editor (Taifa Leo), Swahili Digital Journalist and Found and Project Manager for the leading Swahili website Swahilihub.com (now www.swahilihub.co.tz) all in Nation Media Group for close to a decade. He later joined from 2016 academia as an Associate Lecturer in Swahili, Communication and Media studies in several universities in Kenya namely Moi University, Mount Kenya University, Multimedia University of Kenya and Catholic University of Eastern Africa. He has supported students of Swahili and media studies on internship from universities in UK and Germany namely School of African and Oriental Studies (SOAS) University of London and Leipzig University in Germany respectively. Gikambi has translated stories from English to Swahili and vice versa for several anthologies including stories from ‘When the sun Goes Down and other Stories’ and Tumbo Lisiloshiba na Hadithi Nyingine (Longhorn) among others.
He has severally presented scholarly papers on Swahili and media technology in international conferences at the University of Bayreuth in Germany, Yale University in USA, Tanzania and locally. He is a founder Member of Language Association of East Africa (LAEA) and East African Interpreters and Translators Association (EAITA) and an accredited journalist by Media Council of Kenya.
His areas of interest are Communications & Knowledge Management, Events Management, Media Relations, Digital Marketing, Sales Management, Corporate Social Responsibility, Stakeholder Management, Building partnership, Resource Mobilization, Donor Management, Policy formulation, Information Management, Communications Strategy development, Writing across genres, manuscript assessment and editing, Proof reading, Strategic Planning; Advocacy, Capacity Building of Communications Teams, Photography, Desktop & Online Publishing, Operational Research, Reputation Management & Crisis communications, Strategic Planning, Content Writing & Content Production, Website Management, Blogging, Teaching/Training, Swahili Linguistics Analysis, Critical Discourse Analysis, Corpus Linguistics, Media linguistics, English- Swahili Translation and Interpretation and Social Media Management.
- Bachelor of Education (Arts) Hons (University of Nairobi),
- International Diploma in Sales Management & Marketing – Cambridge International College (Cambridge-United Kingdom).
- Post Graduate Diploma in Journalism & Mass Communication (Kenyatta University),
- Digital Media Management-Sol Plaatje Media Management Institute-(Rhodes University, Grahamstown.)-South Africa
- Master of Arts- Kiswahili Studies- Computational Linguistics (University of Nairobi),
- PhD- Media, Swahili and Technology (Kenyatta University) - ongoing.
Books and Publications
- Gikambi, H.P (2017) - Kumbukumbu za Omar Babu Marjan 14 Julai 1967 – 20 Januari 2015-SF-23. Swahili Forum online Journal-Leipzig University. Germany. (a Tribute to a renowned Kenyan Swahili Scholar in Germany).
- Gikambi, H.P (2015) - Teknolojia Ya Lugha Katika Utafiti Wa Kiswahili: Kifani Cha Mradi Wa Salama. (Language Technology in Swahili Research: the Case study of Swahili Language Manager (SALAMA)-2015. Available on JKML –UON Library an online. (Unpublished MA thesis- in Kiswahili).
- Gikambi, H.P (2014) - SMART SCORE Encyclopedia. Nairobi. Longhorn Publishers.
- Gikambi, H.P (2012) - Mwongozo wa Damu Nyeusi na Hadithi Nyingine. Nairobi. Swahilihub
- Gikambi, H.P (2012) - Mwongozo wa Mstahiki Meya.Nairobi. Swahilihub
- Gikambi, H.P (2011) - Ningependa Kusahau. EAEP/Ujuzi publishers- Dar es Salaam.Tanzania.
- Gikambi, H.P (2010) - Safari ya Serengeti. EAEP/Ujuzi Publishers, Salaam, Tanzania.
- Gikambi, H.P (2006) - Co-authored Kiswahili-KCSE revision books Peak Encyclopedia –Compulsory Subjects. Nairobi: East African Educational Publishers.
- Gikambi, H.P (1996) - Maudhui Katika Riwaya ya Maumbile si Huja ya John Habwe, (available at the University of Nairobi C.E.E.s Lower Library). (Unpublished B.Ed (Arts degree) thesis in Kiswahili).
- Gikambi, H.P (1996) - Johari ya Kiswahili Series. Co-authored 5 Kiswahili text books for Tanzanian Secondary Schools curriculum with the East African Educational Publishers through Ujuzi Educational Publishers Ltd-Dar es Salaam as follows: (Form 1, 2, 3, & 4 pupils‟ books